2020 CALENDAR OF EVENTS & CLASSES:
BOOT CAMP SPECIFICS, GUEST TEACHERS, AND ON LOCATION TALKS HAPPENING IN 2020!
The chair nerds spend a lot of time “on location” at a variety of venues across the country. The 2020 US Chair Caning Tour is kicking off January 18 with a talk at the William King Museum in Abingdon, Virginia. Summer plans include teaching a Legacy class for educators at Arrowmont, teaching dyed reed and Shaker tape at Appalachian Center for Craft, and The SeatWeavers’ Guild Gathering in New England!
Silver River Center for Chair Caning encourages the DIY spirit in anyone who wants to
- Fix a family heirloom
- Expand your furniture restoration skills
- Learn a new hands-on hobby
- Start your own chair restoration business
3 Class Styles
A two-week intensive geared toward beginners but also great for perfecting/expanding the skills of an intermediate seat weaver.
- A total of 5 chairs will be woven in each style: Laced Cane, Pressed Cane, Shaker Tape, Fiber Rush and Splint Reed restorations.
- Learn invaluable tips to simplify the process, some history, and business skills.
- Save $150 by signing up for boot camp. Take all 5 classes within 1 year and still get the discount.
- All materials and tools provided
- Bring a friend and get an additional $100 off…for each of you!
- Anyone can attend individual BOOT CAMP classes without registering for the entire two weeks.
ALL-DAY CLASSES/LEAVE WITH A COMPLETED CHAIR
Learn Splint, Rush, Shaker tape, Laced Caning, and Pressed Caning in a structured class where you will finish a chair project. Bring your own chairs, or we can provide them for you for a nominal fee. Tuition includes all tools and materials, after-class assistance with future projects, and $25 off future classes. Click the chair caning class you’d like to explore:
PRIVATE TUTORIALS FOR UNUSUAL OR LARGER CHAIRS
Schedule a tutorial in 1-hour increments for a little more help with your project, or if your chair exceeds the scope of our classes. Materials are not included in the cost. We are glad to order materials for you. Examples of chairs that are ideal for tutorials include:
- Porch Rockers
- Danish Cord
- Binder Cane
- Hickory Bark
- Natural Rush
You are welcome to stay and work in the shop and work independently after the tutorial. Tutorials are $40/hour by appointment only. Call 828-707-4553 to schedule.
Chair caning is physically demanding work. If you are injured, please let us repair your chair for you. Wait until injuries have healed before taking a chair caning class.
READ THIS! Important information for ALL CLASSES follows:
Choosing a Chair for Pressed Caning Class:
Choosing a Chair for Laced Caning Class:
Choosing a Chair for Rush, Splint, or Shaker Tape Class:
https://youtu.be/NDxJkJ9InTU If you don’t have a chair, we can pick one up for you for $10-$40, depending on the chair. Please let us know when you sign up so we can find a chair.