Silver River Center for Chair Caning encourages the DIY spirit in anyone who wants to
Fix a family heirloom
Expand your furniture restoration skills
Learn a new hands-on hobby
Start your own chair restoration business
DUE TO COVID-19 WE ARE WORKING HARD TO CREATE ONLINE CONTENT FOR REMOTE LEARNING. SEE OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR A PREVIEW.
SCHEDULE A ZOOM TUTORIAL CLASS by calling 828-707-4553
3 Class Styles
A two-week intensive geared toward beginners but also great for perfecting/expanding the skills of an intermediate seat weaver. For a more tailored experience Design Your Own Boot Camp-ideal for furniture makers, intermediate & advanced skills.
- A total of 5 chairs will be woven in each style: Laced Cane, Pressed Cane, Shaker Tape, Fiber Rush and Splint Reed restorations.
- Learn invaluable tips to simplify the process, some history, and business skills.
- Save $150 by signing up for boot camp. Take all 5 classes within 1 year and still get the discount.
- All materials and tools provided
- Bring a friend and get an additional $100 off…for each of you!
- Anyone can attend individual BOOT CAMP classes without registering for the entire two weeks.
ALL-DAY CLASSES/LEAVE WITH A COMPLETED CHAIR
Bring your own chairs, or we can provide them for you for a nominal fee. Tuition includes all tools and materials, after-class assistance with future projects, and $25 off future classes. Click the class you’d like to explore:
PRIVATE TUTORIALS FOR UNUSUAL OR LARGER CHAIRS
Schedule a tutorial in 1-hour increments for a little more help with your project, or if your chair exceeds the scope of our classes. Materials are not included in the cost. We are glad to order materials for you. Examples of chairs that are ideal for tutorials include:
- Porch Rockers
- Danish Cord
- Binder Cane
- Hickory Bark
- Natural Rush
Choosing a Chair for Pressed Caning Class:
Choosing a Chair for Laced Caning Class:
Choosing a Chair for Rush, Splint, or Shaker Tape Class:
https://youtu.be/NDxJkJ9InTU If you don’t have a chair, we can pick one up for you for $10-$40, depending on the chair. Please let us know when you sign up so we can find a chair.