Silver River Center for Chair Caning encourages everyone to learn to repair their own chairs.
Whether you want to fix a family heirloom or you are a furniture restorer wanting to expand your skills, we offer many levels of classes.
4 Class Styles:
3 HOUR INTRO WORKSHOPS
$50/person for RUSH WEAVING, $75/person for LACED CANING
Low-Cost workshops include a detailed demonstration followed by hands-on practice as time permits.
- Available for laced cane and rush seats.
- Ideal for people on a time/money budget.
- All project chairs/materials/tools provided.
- Note-taking, photography, and video encouraged.
- $25 off a full-day class as a graduate of the workshop.
- Bring your project chair for tips on getting started at the end of the workshop.
Learn Splint, Rush, Shaker tape, Laced Caning, and Pressed Caning in a structured class where you will finish a chair project. Bring your own chairs, or we can provide them for you for a nominal fee. Tuition includes all tools and materials, after-class assistance with future projects, and $25 off future classes.
Click the chair caning class you’d like to explore:
A two-week intensive that is perfect for someone interested in seat weaving as a business or hobby. Geared toward beginners but also great for perfecting/expanding the skills of an intermediate seat weaver.
- Full Classes of Laced Cane, Pressed Cane, Shaker Tape, Fiber Rush and Splint Reed restorations, along with invaluable tips to simplify the process. A total of 5 chairs will be completed during this series of classes.
- Save $150 by signing up for boot camp instead of individual classes. Take all 5 classes within 1 year and still get the discount.
- All materials and tools provided
- Bring a friend and get an additional $100 off…for each of you!
- Use the weekend between classes to explore the sights, sounds, and tastes of Asheville or return home to rest.
Anyone can attend individual BOOT CAMP classes without registering for the entire two weeks.
Schedule a tutorial in 1-hour increments for a little more help with your project, or if your chair exceeds the scope of our classes. Examples include: Porch Rockers, Danish Cord, Binder Cane, Hickory Bark. Materials are not included in the cost. We are glad to order materials for you.
You are welcome to stay and work in the shop and work independently after the tutorial.
Tutorials are $40/hour by appointment only. Call 828-707-4553 to schedule.
Chair caning is physically demanding work. If you are injured, please let us repair your chair for you. Wait until injuries have healed before taking a chair caning class.
READ THIS! Important information for ALL CLASSES follows:
If you don’t have a chair, we can pick one up for you for $10-$40, depending on the chair. Please let us know when you sign up so we can find a chair.
Some chairs can’t be TOTALLY finished in a day…Rush and Splint chairs must dry over night and then get a shellac coating to protect them from stains. We can do this for you, we can send you home with instructions, or you can come back in the next day to shellac your chair. It will only take about an hour which includes enough time for the shellac to dry enough for you to take the chair home.
A signed waiver is required for participation in any of our workshops.
If you have financial need and are willing to work for us for trade of class cost, we will consider based on each situation.