New in 2023! Learn to weave special patterns with hand-woven chair caning.
Patterns: learn star, daisy, honeycomb, spider web & of course, the traditional 6 way pattern.
Class Length: 5 Sessions
- Yes, it will take all 5 days.
- Moderate hand strength required
Cost: Includes appropriately sized cane, 35 hours of instruction, and all tools and materials necessary to complete the project.
BYOC: Bring your own chair or we can provide one for you for $40-$60 depending on the style/amount of work involved in refurbishing.
Before Class: At least a week before class we need to get a photo of your chair (text or email us) or inspect it in person (make an appointment to bring your chair in) for structural issues.
NOT ALL CHAIRS ARE GREAT TO LEARN ON! Considerations for your first class:
- Round chairs are common but more challenging for your first project due to small cane and irregular edges
- chairs with curved seats are great, but compound chair backs are not ideal for your first project
- Bentwood chairs and chairs with recessed grooves underneath
- chairs with over 100 holes
- holes that do not go all the way through the frame or share a seam with other panels of cane
- chairs that have a frame which must be removed from the rest of the chair in order to weave are fine but can be tricky to remove/reattach when you’re finished.
IMPORTANT: Please read through our Workshop FAQs.